Monday, August 3, 2009

so far so good

Last week Mike went for blood work almost every day. He received blood transfusions Wednesday and Thursday. On Friday they said that all of his counts look good and Phase 1 accomplished everything that we hoped it would. Today he goes for blood work just to check his counts before his port-cath surgery tomorrow. On Wednesday we will be flying home together. His mom is going to drive my car and the kids back on Thursday. Please pray for a safe trip for all of us. I am trying to let God's peace comfort me that I am not able to drive them myself and they will be on the road that long without me. (I guess its a mom thing.) I know they are in good hands...I just wish I was able to do it myself.
I started Physical Therapy at the hospital last week and they came to the house yesterday. I will have a few appointments with them before we go back to FL and then transfer to a service in Tampa. I have been getting around a little better. The PT is painful when I am doing it, but I always feel better within a few hours.
The kids start school & dance on the 17th and I plan to get back to work ASAP. I am desperate to feel some level of normalcy in our lives. We will meet with the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa the week after we get back to arrange Phase 2 of his treatments. Phase 2 is 5 days (M-F) every week for 4 weeks. It will be very intense as far as the time demand, but the drugs are not as harsh as those used during Phase 1. We are continually praying that his body will accept the treatments and respond well. After 4 weeks on Phase 2, he will transition to Phase 3 which will be 2 days every week for 3 months. Phase 4 will only be a visit every few weeks for blood work and he will have to do that for about 3 years. There is a 30% chance that he will never deal with leukemia again. We are believing that he will fall into that 30%. :)
It has been so good to spend some time here with friends and family. Obviously, we wish that it had been under better circumstances and could have had more quality time, but we appreciate everyone so much and the time that we did get to have. We have very mixed emotions about going back to FL. This trip really reminded us of all of the loved ones we hardly ever see and has us facing some major decisions about whether we should try to sell the house and move back to MD. It all comes down to God's perfect plan for our lives and what He has in store for us. We will continue to be obedient to following His calling for our lives, but praying that it will allow us to see our loved ones more often.
Thanks to everyone for all of the prayers and support. We love you all so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment