Saturday, August 8, 2009

getting settled

wow...what a week. Its hard to believe that only 5 days ago Mike was having surgery in MD and now we are home in Tampa and everything is unpacked, like we never left.

Mike's surgery to have the port put in his chest went very well. He was a little sore, but for the most part recovered very quickly and was feeling better. We said some very emotional good-byes to our loved ones in MD and flew home late Wednesday night. It was very strange walking into my house. I felt ike I was visiting someone else - not coming home. I looked at the pictures on the wall and walked through each room and really just felt so odd. It took me a good while to reorient myself and feel settled.
Thursday was a very emotional day for both of us. I think that the weight of all that we had experienced since the last time we had been home was finally sinking in. I was also very uneasy about the kids and Mike's mom being on the road, making their way through the 1000 mile trip. It's moment like that when I just have to recognize that my life is in the hands of a very capable God and try to find some kind of peace in trusting Him and His plan for us. It's not always easy. I think that knowing the right answers and applying them during trying times are two totally different things. People can tell you what you are supposed to do and feel, but unless they have been there, it is impossible for them to understand what you are facing and the struggles within. Dont get me wrong, I completely appreciate everyone's love and compassion through this time. I think for myself, it is a humbling realization that I should not have expectations of others and impose my thoughts of how they should be feeling at times like this. For that, I am thankful that this is making me a better, more compassionate person.
Yesterday we were treated to a maid for the day. We both worked non-stop from 10-5 getting my house completely organized and disinfected. It is literally spotless. THANK YOU SO MUCH SHERYL!!!! IT feels so good to know my deep cleaning has been done and it is one less thing I have to worry about as Mike faces round 2 of treatments. Unfortunately, I am not the type of person that can sit & watch someone else clean my house, so I worked along side of her and over-did it a little bit with my back and I am feeling it today. I dont think I will get off of the couch too much today. I am thankful that Mike decided to take the day to go to the Tampa Gun Show. I am hoping that some time out of the house and away from things will bring him some refreshing.
So, now that we have been here a few days, the kids and the dog have all been re-united, and everything is clean, we are feeling much better. Our Tampa gang stepped right in to welcome us home with a cleaned and stocked fridge, clean laundry, flowers & balloons. (Samantha made paper flowers since Mike can not have fresh flowers. I will try to attach a pic if I can figure out how to do it cause they are amazing.) Sam has also been making us dinners every night and bringing her smiling family over to brighten our home with love & laughter.
We plan to take this week to rest and relax before things get crazy again. We are going to meet the USF Moffitt doctors next week and Mike will most likely start his treatments the week of the 17th. I just found out that the kids dont go back to school until the 24th, so we have an extra week I was unaware of. Hopefully we will get in a couple of beach days and maybe a trip to SeaWorld or Busch Gardens before then. I plan to ease back into work this week and hopefully be full swing by the time the kids go back to school.

Please direct your prayers toward our financial situation, as we have not heard anything from SSA regarding disability yet and I do not want to be a burden on others to get us through. We just need a quick response and a check from them ASAP and a decision from our mortgage company to extend our payments. This is our greatest need right now. Going from $9000/monthly income down to $1000/month has been difficult to say the least. Also, continued prayers for healing, Mike's body to respond well to Phase 2 and for our family to get into a healthy routine from day to day. Thank you all for your continued encouragement and support. This is a long process and we are grateful that we have not been forgotten.



1 comment:

  1. Dear Kristy,
    We continue to pray for Mike and pray for you. I haven't checked the blog for a couple of weeks and I'm blown away by the trials you are enduring. Your faith inspires me. Stuff like this causes us to totally depend on God's wisdom and mercy. People would comment on how calm and accepting I was of Roger's cancer and treatments. I could only give the honor to our Lord because without Him I'm sure someone would have locked me in the looney bin. Gave me a chance to witness. How blessed you are with all of your friends and family to help you. You are blessing them by allowing them to help. I know that people need to do something and by allowing them to help you is a great gift to them.
    Remeber, I know the craziness you are experiencing and I continue to pray for normal moments and little joys that keep you going.
    In His Hands,
    Theresa Colburn

    ReplyDelete