Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Preparing for Phase 2

Hello everyone. I hope you all are doing well.
(Last Week)
We have been home for over a week now and starting to feel a little more settled. Thanks to Mike's mom, we were able to get all of the shopping for the kids school supplies and uniforms. :) That makes me feel better to know that it is done and my kids have everything they could possibly need to start school. I spent all last week on the phone with different agencies, insurance companies, banks, doctors, hospitals, etc... We still do not have a decision from SSA regarding Mike's disability, but we are being assured it is in the works now. We have had so many different agencies "lose" our paperwork, it is overwhelming. At one point, I just looked at Mike and said that God must really be stretching me in this area, to be more patient, because it is such a recurring problem with everyone I try to communicate with. It's unbelievable! It's hard to have to face this illness as it is - with no income and the many other struggles associated - but to have these agencies misplacing our important documents, just adds to the stress. I know that God knows our limits...and He wont give me any more than I can handle...but I sure feel like I am very close to the breaking points sometimes. A visit from my best friend came at perfect timing and we had a fabulous weekend together! Mike has been feeling really good the past few days, so it was a great opportunity to refresh and refocus.

(This Week)

This morning we went to Moffitt to meet his new care team and get an idea of where we are going from here. They did some lab work while we were there and everything came back good. He has some elevated levels and some swelling in his legs & neck, but the doctor thinks they are being caused by the medication he is still taking. He is scheduled for a bone marrow biopsy next Wednesday (26th) and then has a follow up visit on Friday (28th). This test is basically to confirm that his body is going into remission and Phase 1 accomplished all that was intended. He will most likely start Phase 2 treatments the first week in September. The hospital is about 30 miles from our house and he will have to go 4-5 times a week. During this phase he will have several chemo treatments, 4 spinal taps and possibly another bone marrow biopsy. Mike is glad to have a few extra "good" days, but also ready to get through all of the treatments and get all of this behind us.

My sister (Angie) has been very generous to coordinate a Bull Roast & Silent Auction to benefit our family. Please mark your calendars for Saturday, October 17. It will be held in Bel Air, MD. I will send more information as it becomes available.

Thanks to everyone for your continued prayer and support! We appreciate all of you!!






1 comment:

  1. Kristy, my prayers flow for you and your family every day! You are stronger than you know. I am so glad we have reconnected after all these years. My mom did Chemo and Radiation 5x a week for months at Hopkins. It was hard and will be difficult for you but you can do it. You have a great support system in place!

    Love,

    Beth Demarest Shelton

    ReplyDelete