Thursday, July 30, 2009

an evenful day

Yesterday I could not get out of bed hardly at all. Around 6am I crawled to the bathroom and spent about 30 minutes trying to get on the toilet. When I tried to stand I took out the bathroom towel rack and hit the floor and eventually crawled back to bed. By 9am I could not move at all. Mike had a clinic appointment so we had to call his mom at the last minute to take him down there. I called a chiropractor and asked what their suggestions were. They told me to try to take enough medicine to get comfotable and come to their office. I took some muscle relaxers and a pain pill - so by 10:45 I was able to crawl to Danielle's car and sit backwards kneeling on the floor. Once at the office, they put me in a wheely chair backwards and pushed me into the office. The doctor did some physical therapy but I was still unable to stand or walk. So they called 911 and sent me in an ambulance to Upper Chesapeake. An MRI showed a (ruptured) herniated disc. I was very sick yesterday from all of the meds and not eating, but was more comfortable by evening. Danielle stayed at the hospital with me last night and took good care of me. They started me on a steriod to control the inflammation and with the pain pills I was able to get up several times to walk to the bathroom. I saw the Occupation Therapist this morning, she helped me with basic ways to sit, stand, roll, get dressed, etc. The Physycal Therapist came in and worked with me for about 30 minutes. It didnt really hurt, but now I am very sore from moving so much this morning. I am waiting to see the Neurosurgeon to tell me whether he thinks I need back surgery. That will determine when I get to go home. I will continue Physical Therapy regardless.
While I was having so much fun yesterday, Mike went into clinic for a blood draw and they determined that he needed a blood transfusion. This is all normal stuff that happens during chemotherapy, so there is nothing to be alarmed about, but the less amount of transfusions he gets, the better his body will continue to respond to his treatments. So we pray for minimal transfusions. They want to keep a closer eye on him so he is at clinic again today and tomorrow. He is still scheduled for his port-cath surgery on Monday. Mike's sister is taking the kids until Saturday, so I am grateful knowing they are ok while I am here and he is there.
I had planned to leave on Tuesday to go home and Mike was flying home on Wednesday, but now everything is up in the air again. I have no idea when I will be ready to make that drive.
Also, my cell phone broke on Monday so I have not been able to call, receive calls or text anyone all week. I apologize if you were not contacted personally about all of these happenings, but Mike and I have very little control over who gets called and when. Mike's mom dropped off my phone yesterday to get the replacement ordered, but wont have it until later this evening or tomorrow.

In light of all of this craziness, I feel such a peace of knowing that God is still God and He is in divine control. These things will not get us down, only make us stronger and better people with more love and compassion for others. It's all good. I know it will all be worth it someday. :) We are getting better everyday and before you know it, we will be back up and living normal healthy lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment