Monday, February 28, 2011

the latest - surprise surgery tomorrow

Okay, so here’s the news….

Last Thursday I took the kids to see Mike in the afternoon so we could try to take him for a walk and get him some fresh air. Unfortunately, it had been a really rough night – his port stopped working and the nurses struggled all night to find a good vein for him to receive meds which resulted in sleepless night and a lack of proper medication, including his pain meds. He had been having a lot of pain in his right shoulder so they sent him for several tests. The final verdict was severe arthritis, but that doesn’t seem to make a whole lot of sense to anyone. I honestly don’t think anyone really knows what is causing the shoulder pain. I was hoping that bringing the kids to visit would brighten his day and turn things around a bit… but Thursday was not the day to try to do that. Just seeing how much pain he was in made me cry, which upset the kids, so we decided not to stay. Just as we were about to leave, Mike received a visit from the neurology team. They very quickly explained that the bleed in his brain had started to digress, but the last MRI showed something lighting up under the contrast. They feel strongly that it could be a cancerous tumor but would not be sure until they go in to remove as much as they can and do a biopsy. Just like that, he was scheduled for brain surgery.
All weekend the nurses have been working to get his platelets over 100 so that he would not be at risk for uncontrolled bleeding during the surgery. He has received several platelet and blood transfusions. At this point, his labs look good and he is scheduled for the operation at 1:00 tomorrow. I do not want to get into all of the risks associated with brain surgery – as I am sure you know, it can be a very complicated procedure. I am just trusting God to guide the surgeons hands and to hold Mike (and me) through the entire thing. The process is about 3 hours and then he will be in recovery for about 5 days. During that time, they will be running tests to find out what was in his brain and if it requires further treatment. Please do not bombard my inbox at 4:00 and ask me how everything went. As soon as he is in recovery and I receive an update from the doctor, I will let everyone know. I promise.

Honestly, when I heard the news on Thursday, I was crushed. I cried all the way home – even in front of Zack & Jadeyn (which I always control). But after about an hour of processing it all, praying and talking to the kids, I felt a relief that could have only come from God. I had such a peace in my heart and we spent the evening working on a puzzle and singing songs together. Since then, I have not picked up worrying again. I have been very peaceful and I’m just continuing to trust God. I know there are many people who want me to be realistic and face every “what if” with full preparation of the worst, just because they want to protect me – and I understand that. There should be balance in everything. But I honestly believe that Mike has an amazing life still yet to live and I am pushing him every day with that in mind. I fully expect good things to come from this entire process, that honestly, not one day, not one pain, not one tear will have been wasted. God is going to use it ALL; in this I am confident.

I do need prayer warriors lined up through the evening, tonight and especially tomorrow afternoon. I am not so foolish to think that we can get through this without prayer coverage and that is where I need YOU. I depend on each one of you to help us get through this if you really care – that means encouraging messages, positive words, prayer commitments, fasting, etc… whatever God lays on your heart to contribute will be greatly appreciated! We are ALL a part of Mike’s victory over cancer. I hope each one of you realizes the vital role that you play. Actually, I am collecting cards, messages, emails, etc to put in a book for him, so if you would like to send me something, I will make sure it gets added. Just email me or send it on FB; if you want to send a card to my house, just text/inbox me for the address. I want to fill it with letters from all over the world, so please include your city & state.

Please be careful about what you speak!!! I have said before and I will say it again, words have creative power! Proverbs 18:21 says that the power of life and death are in your tongue. Please speak that Mike is getting better every day and no weapon formed against him shall prosper (Isaiah 54:17). Speak only life and blessings and healing for him. Speak that he is BETTER EVERY DAY (2 Corinthians 5:7) even if we have to walk by faith and not by sight. It IS happening!!!

And in all things I will continue to give God praise, because He is still good – He is still able and He continues to carry me every day. He deserves all of the glory and honor – and when Mike comes through all of this – it will be because of His goodness, grace & mercy; so I am thanking Him in advance! I’m actually really excited about what is about to unfold!! I hope that you all can share in that faith with me or at least support our beliefs with your encouragement.

Love and blessings to you all! Please keep us lifted up – especially this week!!! <3

1 comment: