Friday, February 18, 2011

fighting a bacteria infection - the full story

It was Thursday night…. I was looking forward to our Thursday tradition – a nice family dinner – Family Game Night & watching American Idol together. Mike started feeling ill around 4pm – by 10:00 he had spiked a 104.2 fever. We were told to call if it went over 100.4, so I was concerned, to say the least. I was advised to rush him to the closest emergency room as quickly as possible. We checked in at Community Hospital at 11pm and finished the paperwork somewhere around 1am. By 4am they determined that his WBC was 0.02 and they should start antibiotics. As stressful as the situation was, Mike and I actually enjoyed some quiet time together, talking and making fun of all of the crazies that were coming through the ER all hours of the morning. Sometimes we don’t always see the answer to our prayer in test results, but just in a more peaceful perspective, which makes ALL the difference in the world as we walk this out. They decided that he was going to be transferred to Moffitt first thing in the morning, so I drove home to get some sleep. Between my mind racing & the phone ringing every hour, it wasn’t much. The nurses were just calling to keep me updated as I requested, but every time the phone rang, my heart would race and my mind would run through all of the “what ifs” before I could even get out a groggy “hello”. He was transferred to Moffitt early this morning and has since received several platelet and blood transfusions, 2 x-rays, a sonogram of his abdomen & a CT. His blood cultures are showing bacteria in his blood stream, yet to be identified, so they are continuing to treat him with antibiotics. He is extremely weak and having a lot of pain. The doctors have done well with pain management, but it is difficult for him to make even the slightest movements. His fever has been going down slowly, then back up, and back down again. Right now he is at 100.4. His blood pressure has been very low 90s/40s so they are keeping an eye on it to determine whether he needs to be transferred to critical care overnight. I really hope that he does not have to move. I am here beside him tonight, glad to have the opportunity to help if needed and not have to be anywhere in the morning. He has been resting most of the evening and I am staying busy with work and emails. Thanks to everyone who keeps up with all of our updates and prays accordingly. We know when people are praying because we feel it all around us. Never doubt that God hears your prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment